Friday, September 21, 2007

Swearing in as a Peace Corps Volunteer






I swore in this morning as a Peace Corps Volunteer. There were 76 of us, outfitted to the nines in Malian attire at the United States Embassy. I was swimming in my own sweat in the 96 degree heat, but I still got goosebumps as I raised my right hand and swore to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic. It was a strange moment, 76 voices in unison, all wondering what exactly we were swearing to do, but understanding that the moment was symbolic and represented a pretty huge commitment. Two years of my life consecrated to serving a group of people and a country, to better their lives and hopefully, mine as well.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You look so beautiful! Good luck!

Calvin said...

I'm so proud of you! Congratlations and good luck!

Fay said...

What an awesome opportunity! I'm so proud of all you're accomplishing. Can't wait to hear more details of your adventures.

Take care of yourself,
Your cousin, Fay Carr Haines